Friday, November 7, 2014

One of a Kind, By Guest Blogger Halie Frahm

I would like to introduce guest blogger, music lover, guitarist, percussionist, dancer, MDA Goodwill Ambassador, motivational speaker and my 13 year old niece to Fortitude, Grin & Grow... Halie Frahm. You are probably wondering why I asked a 13 year old to be a guest blogger. First, I believe we can learn something from absolutely everyone. To learn, we just need to listen and open ourselves up to the lessons. Second, about a month ago, I tagged along with my sister and niece to an MDA golf outing. In a room full of executives, Halie spoke eloquently about living with muscular dystrophy. She had the crowd laughing with her when she joked about getting leg braces and going from a woman’s size eight shoe to a man’s size 11. They empathized with her when she spoke about her first bully, cheered with her when she spoke about standing up to her bully, and beamed with pride when she spoke of her strong self esteem and sense of self. That day I was so proud of Halie. She spoke better and with more confidence than most adults. That speech got me thinking about society's idea of perfection and what I was like as a 13 year old. When I was 13, I wanted to be like the girls in the magazines and on television. However, like most 13 year old kids, I was made of sand. The slightest mean word or glare could cause me to crumble and second guess myself. How did my niece become so strong and self assured, so I asked her….
Tim Dwight, Halie Frahm & Del Heth


One of a Kind
Guest Blogger - Halie Frahm


Do you remember the first time you realized you were different? When I was a toddler, I enjoyed playing with my dog, splashing in the pool, and having fun. When I was in preschool I played with my friends, rode in a wagon to the local library, and enjoyed going to the petting zoo. I had no idea I was different. In kindergarten, I loved going to school and playing on the playground. It wasn't until first grade, when kids started saying things like “You're slow” or “HURRY UP ALREADY” and when I started to think something was different. I have known since I was three years old that I had muscular dystrophy. My family always worked with me on overcoming my muscle weakness in a manner that did not specifically target my differences; so truthfully I didn't know I was different than other kids. As I've gotten older my neuromuscular disease has progressed and I have gone through a lot of physical changes. My differences have become more apparent.  Recently, I had to get leg braces. One day I was discussing braces with an adult who also wears braces, and she mentioned she hides her braces. I told her I wear leggings and treat my braces like accessories.  I told her she needed to show her braces off. 

Not only do I have physical differences my interests are different. I like old music, I have the classic IPOD so I can play thousands of songs. I love Green Day and bands not many kids in my grade actually know, like AC/DC. I enjoy the old shows such as "The Beverly Hillbillies" and I read medical books. My family has always pushed me to be who I am, not someone different. When I struggle with other people's words or opinions, I'm reminded of what the world would be like if people wanted to learn about differences instead of continually pointing them out. Maybe next time someone is by themselves because they are walking slow, walk with them. If someone is saying or doing something you don't understand, ask don't judge. Your differences may be internal or external, but if anybody ever tries to make you feel bad about your differences remember this. 

Your differences make you who you are. 
That's what makes you one of a kind!

5 comments:

  1. This was a very insightful blog, Halie.I enjoyed readin it and I hope that others will read it and learn about what a fantastic young lady you are.
    Peace and hugs,
    Great Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our differences are what make us interesting! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halie is an extraordinary young lady! Her lessons about differences and accepting others are lessons that are important for EVERYONE. I hope everyone takes a moment to listen, learn and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. makes our heart's proud squirt...one of my best memories is sittin in my basement before you were even curtain climbing, and pounding out a beat on the murfs old tin pan drum-set with a left-handed pair of wooden spoons...we were yer first fans.....stay the path and stay strong ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job , I wish there were more teenagers that had your get up and go! you are one smart young lady keep up the good work. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete